Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Programming

So, I'm a computer programmer.

Some days it's great. People love you because you help them get their job done easier.

And some days it makes your eyes bleed.

But I can't complain, I get paid well and can basically set my schedule. We get free drinks and goodies in the break room. I don't have to deal with a ton of corporate BS in a small company. I'll probably never be rich doing this, but I will be able to make enough to keep my wife at home (as long as she chooses to do so) with the kids.

I'm an apple developer, so it's a little different than in the windows world. I get to use the cooler looking 17" Mac laptops and we get to watch Steve Jobs work his magic with crowds. And because we are paying apple for the "privilege" of being developers they are nice enough to send us t-shirts, new copies of their upcoming operating system and give us discounts on new machines. Among other things.

If you've got a little time you can check out some of the new exciting things apple is going to be coming out with in the next 6 months or so. I'm really excited about the virtual desktops they will be coming out with, which they call "spaces". If you've never thought about or don't quite understand virtual desktops check out this link here.

Anyhow, I don't want to be taken as a zealot, but I am excited about some of the upcoming changes for apple's new OS. And since the switch to intel processors for apple, I'm considering buying a Mac -- you know, and dual boot it. =)



On a vaguely related note, someone contacted a friend and I about a game that we programmed in high school. It was for an old bulletin board system called Hermes. If you don't know what a "BBS" is click here. Anyhow, the guy set up his bulletin board with our (somewhat feeble, unfinished) game. He also set up his bulletin board here if you'd like to log on, create an account, jump into the externals section, and try out the game. There are a lot of inside jokes in there... Maybe I'll post about it if anyone is interested.

More later.

5 comments:

Bob said...

The good old days of BBS's! I started dialing in when I got my first modem in 1991.

I was a member of the "world's largest BBS" (Exec-PC) for several years. I forget now how many hours a week they allowed on the system, but I pretty much used them all up each week, plus spent even more time reading the messages I dowloaded into my QWK reader.

Good thing I lived in Milwaukee at the time or my phone bill would have been ridiculous, and in fact was after I moved out of the area.

Exec-PC introduced me to the Internet when they added access via a "door" on the BBS. Soon after they set up their own SPARC machine with tons of dial-in lines. It was pretty much still shell access at that time.

After leaving the Milwaukee area in late '94 I wanted to start my own ISP, but I was flat broke. My career path took a totally different direction after that.

One of these days I'll learn to program. I used to play around in BASIC on the old Commodore machines, but those were ancient times.

Sushiboy said...

In addition to your MAME post, you now are committed to a lengthy post about Slycrel. (Since it is deserving of more than a few paragraphs after all :) )

The new macs do look cool, but macs are so durned expensive. When I was pricing out laptops last year the power book was double the price for nearly identical specs. :P But its been like that for a while, and I think I remember Jobs saying the Intel Chip would reduce prices (but intel is even too much for me I've been in the AMD camp for 5 years now)

Bob said...

I do think and post about Slycrel is in order. Whatever it is.

Bob said...

Happy (late) Birthday!

DadGuy said...

Heh, thanks nobody. =)