Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Pinball is cool

More is better. Or so they say.

I visited the pinball hall of fame this evening.

Played:

•Twilight Zone. Good stuff. Good enough to own. 'nuff said.

•Addam's Family. Still my favorite, though TZ is a close second. This was the favorite of those who attended with me.

•Super Mario brothers. Not worth the money.

•Pinbot. This reminded me a lot of space mountain at disneyland for some reason. Very well done, I can see why it's considered a classic. One of the best I've played from that era of pinball.

•Star Wars: episode one. Really cool idea there, they had a video image overlaid on the back third of the pinball machine, and you could "interact" with it. Impressive technology, and fun to play a few times. I wouldn't want to own it though, it would get gimmicky after a while.

•Creature From The Black Lagoon. I hear a lot of people like this one, but it felt off. I think the table wasn't quite balanced right, maybe the legs weren't centered properly. It made cheezy chick moaning sounds when you inserted the quarter and hit certain targets. Maybe that's why.

•Tempest. Okay, this isn't a pinball machine, but this is good stuff! Just as fun as I remember, and I still stink at it.

•Stargate. I could definitely live without this one.

I was looking forward to playing attack from mars, but they didn't have one. Or a Who dunnit, or an Indiana Jones. Or a Getaway, or a Medieval Madness.

Games I missed:

• South park. This one was played almost all night.

• Lord of the Rings. This also had people on it the whole time.

• Funhouse. Another "classic", I wouldn't mind having a go at again sometime.

• Terminator 2. Just couldn't quite make it to this one. never really interested me.

• High Speed. Never played this other than on Visual Pinball. If you've not tried this I'd recommend it. And you can try Visual Pinabll's new offspring Future Pinabll. Anyhow, I woulda liked to try High Speed, but I didn't get to it.

Overall it was a cool place, a real dungeon reminiscent of the old 80's arcades. I talked with the owner a bit. He's hurting I think, they haven't made the rent since opening, though they came close last week. (Weekly rental? not sure) They have power consumption issues as well, I can see why. I bought a "this old pinball" DVD, twilight zone edition, you know, in preparation for my machine. $8.00 well spent.

For a vacation cenered around pinball I'd have to recommend Lyons Classic Pinball instead, better quality machines and smaller shop with a much better collection of games. They are in the Denver area, just a bit to the north. That said, I still had a blast going. =)

Kind of funny, most people go to vegas for gambling or sex, I end up going for pinball. How sad am I. Maybe I'll get some of the rest when I get home. Talk about a gamble! :D

I should go to bed. I have a presentation tomorrow. Until later.

6 comments:

Bob said...

The Getaway is high on my list of favorites. My dad has it so I get to play it when I make it to his place. Unfortunatly, I live over 200 miles away.

Another of my favorites is Hook, based on the movie by the same name. I also played a LOT of T2 while I was in college, they had one at a pizza place that I would go to after work.

Most of my pinball playing was done in '92 and '93.

bon said...

Frankly? I am over the MOON that you enjoy Vegas pinball as opposed to other, ahem... pursuits.

see ya tonite!

DadGuy said...

I've played the getaway a few times. That's the one with the spinning loop that speeds the ball up a lot right? Pretty fun.

I think that I've played hook before, but it wasn't well maintained, so it wasn't very enjoyable.

I've never played a wel maintained T2, so that could be why the meh on that one.

Indiana Jones is also fun, I remember on our honeymoon I got my name in the first place slot at disneyland on the indiana jones machine that was there in the gift shop next to the indiana jones ride.

I played most of my pinball in '94 and '95, though my real first start was video pinball on the Atari. =)

Bob said...

Yes, that's the Getaway. Very fun game. It made my machines seem awfully slow and boring.

Anonymous said...

at least this isn't a mame discussion =)

Glad you had a good time - someday mr. nobody and I have to go to vegas - not for the gambling - but for the pinballs!

bon said...

Ohhhh... Mrs. Nobody, I KNOW what you are talking about!