Wednesday, June 07, 2006

The Microwave

So, for my wife's birthday she got an over-the-stove microwave. (Happy birthday Bon!) We picked it up Tuesday evening. No problem right? Just unscrew the old hood and screw in the new microwave, should be a snap.

Well, lots happened between when we picked it up and when we were finished.

So, we got back from Home depot around 6:30 PM. Great! I want to tear into this project and get it done. Should be an hour or so worth of work. Right?

So, an hour later I'm cussing out the guys who installed the hood. Apparently it is hardwired to the circut. After flipping off most of the house's breakers and resetting all my clocks, I got the power to the hood shut off. I unwired it and stuffed it into the garage. Now, the problem from here, is that the microwave has a plug on it. I'm pretty hesitant to just chop off the plug of a brand new, never used microwave, so I had to get a bit creative. A trip to k-mart later, I had an outlet for $1.49 that did the job perfectly. Oh, we're about 3.5 hours into the project at this point. This is about when I started taking pictures. =)





You can just see the edge of the old microwave in the pictures above on the left there on the counter.

The screws that you see hanging down were tricky to get aligned, we did it though. Only took two tries. I should mention here that at around 11:00 PM we were ready to re-drill these holes. Of course my stupid cordless drill had it's batteries run out, due to drilling a hole in the "spacers". (Yeah, the spacers go between the underside of the cabinet and the microwave. They account for the space under the cabinetry so the screws wouldn't tweak things going through air or some such. That's a story in itself -- I had to dig up some wood, cut and drill it to use for spacers... probably a good hour in and of itself.) anyhow, so I got a good 45 minute break to watch TV and talk with my wife. Anyway, these screws barely fit, it's a good thing our cabinets weren't an inch shorter or the whole thing would have had to go back to the store.

This is off the cuff and a bit disjointed write-up, but there you go. Better than a sharp stick in the eye, isn't it?

And the final masterpiece:



I love you Bon, hope it was worth all of my cussing, cursing, and general grumpiness. Maybe I should get a construction loan after all and hire someone to finish the basement. =)

Until later.

6 comments:

Bob said...

Nice job! I want one of those, but it won't fit over the stove, the cabinets aren't the right size. We have a little nook built into the kitchen for the microwave to sit in, so we can live with just a hood.

Happy BDay Bon!

Anonymous said...

That looks so great! :) Sounds like it was quite the job.

Anonymous said...

Hey DG, Somebody told us last year when we got our ots (over the stove) nuker that it was very hard to do, so we hired a guy to do it for us. So don't get discouraged over this, cause obviously, it WAS hard, and much of the basement isn't nessarily that hard. 'sides, now we can see that you can do the hard stuff anyway. It looks gorgeous!

Happy Birday, bon. Love you guys, Mother Supper

bon said...

I love me some Dadguy!

DadGuy said...

Holy crap that was a pathetic writeup. I'll do better next time.

Mama D said...

Nice job Dadguy.