Wednesday, March 01, 2006

rip-off

Okay, so I love a good conspiracy theory.

On a whim I followed a link on the web about some documentary on wal-mart. I was midly interested in it, I figured it's $12.00, no big shakes.

I watched the video last night.

let me jsut say that on the local level Wal-mart is run by people, and though their policies are quite poor, they are still people. And people are generally good.

Now, at the corporate level it's scary how much everything revolves around the bottom line. And that's what this documentary talks about.

I won't make any opinions at this time, but I will say that there's much more going on with wal-mart than you'd think. And I'll forever after think twice about shopping there.

This is the website for the movie.

Apologies to NobodyYouKnow, my website is now looking more and more similar to his. Maybe I'll have to change my template a bit.

3 comments:

Bob said...

I HATE Walmart. HATE. IT.

Where we live we hardly have a choice. We have only one grocery store, and they are closed on Sundays. We have no other large retailers but are lucky enough to still have some small ones downtown. For how long is anybody's guess since we got a new WalMart Super Center. My only option is to go to Target, and that's a 55 mile round trip, but I go there as often as I can. And anything that I can get at True Value hardware, I do. I support that store as much as possible because I love the owners of it, they are great people who are always willing to go the extra mile to help.

I'm glad to see the WalMart movie logo on your site. I rented it the day it became available from Netflix and actually wasn't surprised by a lot of what I saw. I've considered buying a bunch of copies of the movie and leaving them around town. PBS did a great show about WalMart destroying communities a few years back. I wish I had recorded it. I saw an interesting one on CNBC (or was it MSNBC?) also.

Anonymous said...

Glad you found the DVD - I thought it was interesting too! Like Nobody said - we HATE Walmart - but don't have very many choices... I'll spend a few $$ more to not have to go there.

~Mrs. Nobody

bon said...

sigh...it's better that I just don't shop there, but I don't think I can stand to watch the video... you know how worked up I get. Hopefully we'll get that rumored Target! You know me... I love me some Target!