Friday, March 31, 2006

Do I do it? Which one?

So, my wife and I discussed pinball machines (again) this week.

We decided that we reasonable money to start looking seriously. If the right thing came up soon, we should seriously look into it.

So this morning I checked my email. I am subscribed to the mr. pinball classifieds, so I get a daily email of pinball machines that are for sale all around the world. this morning contained two listings which caught my attention.

Addams Family, 1992 Bally: $3175
Very nice, new GOLD cabinet decals, GOLD side rails and lockdown bar
and GOLD legs, GOLD ROMs (LX-3) new cloud header, very little wear around
electric chair an scoop protector installed, full playfield mylar with
no insert wear, clean plastics and unbroken ramps. This is NOT the 1994
version.
some email addy, Mesa, Arizona

Twilight Zone, 1993 Bally: $3100
Stunning playfield, clear unbroken plastics and ramps, gumball and
spaceship mods. This is a clean machine and 100% working, including
original unbroken clock and undrilled clock housing.
some email addy, Mesa, Arizona

Now, these are not particularly cheap machines. But the price is reasonable. Or rather, close to the going rate, if not a bit better. So.

I have a few decisions to make. Is now the time? If it is the time, which one do I get? (I'd love to have both, but that's not going to happen, no way I can spend that much) When do I pick it up?

All I had to contact the guy was a hotmail email address. Of course I emailed him almost immediately fo rmore details.

If you know me in real life, feel free to give me a call or email me at my work address on what your thoughts are.

I'll keep you updated on what happens. I'm guardedly hopeful, but I'm not going to get my hopes up yet. They could be sold already. heh.

10 comments:

Bob said...

Those prices seem reasonable. I haven't kept up much but the '03 price guide says $2300, and I figure its on the low side for todays prices.

I would pick TZ if I were going to buy one of them. But I have to say, I haven't played either one very much and I'm not even sure if I've played Addams Family at all.

Seems like a long drive though!

Sushiboy said...

Adams Family? That seems to be your favorite.

bon said...

Party on... that IS my answer.

DadGuy said...

So Bon, you're saying I should get both?

heh.

It's been 6 hours with no word yet from the guy. Here's hoping he is at work or soemthing and his email will be unchecked until later. That or it's already gone.

Bob said...

If you don't already, start reading rec.games.pinball on usenet. I'm sure you can find some leads there in addition to the Mr Pinball ads. That group is pretty busy so it can sink a whole lotta time to read it... I gave up trying to keep up with it a couple years ago. Great bunch of people over there.

DadGuy said...

Yeah, I've read it a few times. WAY to much info to sift through for me. =)

Still no word.

Bob said...

They need to split that group into seperate chit-chat, tech, and marketplace groups. They say they don't want to read *three* groups. I don't see how it would be any more to read, for me it would be a lot less since I don't care about the chit chat, I only want to read the tech stuff.

Hope you hear from the guy. He's probably at work and can't get his email there.

DadGuy said...

It is now next day, still no word. Ah well.

Bob said...

That sucks! I seem to find the same problem with pinball machines. I once ran an ad in the local swap sheet looking to buy pins. I got about a dozen leads, but was never able to close a deal on any of them. I got lots of calls and voice mails, but nobody would call me back about a time to go see the machines. One guy did set a time, but he was about 100 miles away. He called me when I was about half way there and said he sold it. He must have known I was gonna low ball him on the price! I'm interested in all machine including the old EM machines so running an ad looking to buy "working or not" brings some people out of the woodwork that have had broken machines in their basements for the past 20+ years. I like to fix them as much as I like to play them, so I don't mind buying a broken machine as long as its not missing any of the parts made of the material I call "unobtainium" like plastics and backglasses.

Anonymous said...

You have such a nice wife, can I just say that! Talk about supporting a hobby...she must REALLY love you!