Friday, February 10, 2006

To pin or not to pin

Apologies for the lack of updates lately. Between sick kids and other responsibilities all I've been doing is playing world of warcraft. I have a number of things I want to say, I just am not making the time to say them.

It's tax time again. Ever since I had to pay $600 or so in taxes I've been making sure I get a reasonable tax return. This year blew me out of the water. Let's just say that I never expected to get a tax return that was over $5k. Assuming I didn't screw it up horribly, I have gotten one.

So in practical terms, what does this mean? Do I actually have the money to get a pinball machine?

Well, yes and no.

After discussing options with my wife we've decided to finish the basement. It was close between a pinball machine and finishing the basement. And, though I may never live this one down, I opted for the basement first.

I just can't justify a pinball machine when we have no place to put my MAME machine and the newly acquired magic sword.

If I'm lucky we'll have enough money to get a room I can use for a game room/computer room. We'll see.

Now I have to finalize my taxes and figure out what the heck I am doing on finishing a few rooms downstairs. Wish me luck.

As for my good friend (and his little brother in the background there) I'll have to wait a while longer.

3 comments:

Bob said...

I say get the pin and finish the basement!

Having a finished basement is awfully nice though, so I'm sure doing your basement will be a good choice. Are you going to do the work yourself or hire a contractor?

Bob said...

here's a link to a pinball place in SLC. Ray seems like a heck of a nice guy, I'll probably be ordering some parts for one of my machines from him soon.
http://www.aros.net/~rayj/action/index.htm

-nobody

DadGuy said...

yeah, I hear that action pinball is the place to go in Utah. one of these weekends I'll head up there and check it out.