Friday, February 24, 2006

oops

Dang.

No pictures today. Sounds like we may have left our camera last weekend when we went out of town. That's not particularly a happy thing. I hope it's not at the indoor waterpark. :/

Things are shaping up to be nuts already this weekend. The small amount of time that I think will be free will msot likely be taken up cleaning the house/basement and watching kids at the same time. So you probably won't see me much this weekend. Then again, do you ever see me post on the weekends?

Maybe if I'm lucky I can get some time to work on the MAME machine this weekend. okay, who am I kidding. That's not going to happen. =)

In other, sadder news, star roms is closing it's doors. It was one of the few places that you could go to get legal arcade ROMs for emulation. :(

Until next week.

2 comments:

Bob said...

I think there was always some what of a question as to whether any of the ROMs were legal. I think technically they are not, unless you just happen to own the acutual ROM or board they go in.

But I think they are still out there somewhere, in Usenet, or Bit Torrent most likely. Just a lot harder to find now. I haven't played MAME in ages. I really need to get a nice double joystick controller so I can play some SmashTV and Total Carnage. I love those games.

I once built a SmashTV machine out of an old cabinet I picked up at an arcade auction and a board I bought on eBay. It was taking up valuable pinball space so I got rid of it.

I've been thinking about building a cocktail mame cabinet for years. It would be great to play the classics I played as a kid, like frogger, dig dug, etc. I actually trashed a box of Happ Controls joysticks when we moved, I don't know what I was thinking.

DadGuy said...

Yeah, illegally obtaining ROMs isn't much of a problem. But getting legal roms to work with emulators is a whole different ballgame. Star roms was one of the few ways to do that. Probably the next best is hanaho's hotrod joystick which comes with like 20 capcom roms.