Tuesday, January 10, 2006

2600 and memories....

So, let's start at the beginning of my video gaming habits. The Atari 2600.



It started 1983, Christmas. I was a happy kid. The Atari 2600 was amazing. I had to have spent hours and hours playing with it. We got Air-Sea Battle, Combat, and River Raid. And at some point shortly thereafter we got Adventure and Pitfall.

Adventure, which you can play a flash reproduction web based version here. This was probably one of the pivotal games that made me want to make games when I grew up.

One of the gems that I eventually got, but my uncle had that we used to play was Atari's video pinball.

I played this game for hours, and got amazingly good at it. Of course being a kid, I preferred using the mode that allowed you to control the pinball a little, but still, This is definitely my first pinball love. Even then I didn't know it, but I was destined to become a pinball addict. It's funny to me to realize that there have been so many influences, directly and indirectly, for pinball for me. I wonder how many other things have done the same?

If anyone wants to get some good nostalgia going with their Atari you can now get an atari arcade flashback.

I remember once describing frogger on the Atari to my uncle. We were in my grandparent's basement in front of the TV. I told him how huge a friend of mine's TV was. "It was at least one times bigger than this TV!" What I meant was it was roughly double the size, but of course, my uncle corrected me. Still, trying to prove my point I lamely said "Well, it was 1.5 times bigger! The frog was this big!" Holding my thumb and index finger in a circle. He was pretty condescending to me, and though I was a kid I still picked up on that. I think he still can't take me seriously. Heh.

I need to re-hook up my Atari. My kids would love it.

1 comment:

bon said...

what about what I want? t'heck with the girls... let's ask the Mama what SHE wants!