Monday, November 19, 2007

Cultural Correctness

I read this speech, though there's an audio transcript of it. This was years ago, but rings true today more than ever.

I'm not usually pro-hippie pro-protest and all that. However, the guy has a point. There's a time and place for this kind of thing. I'll leave the protesting to other people, but that doesn't mean I can't live my personal life under this philosophy. Or at least try. (Once I get over my fear of people, though slowly but surely that's going away... but that's for another post)

I'd love to hear thoughts on if you agree or disagree with what he is saying and why.

3 comments:

Annie Jones said...

It's not often that I agree with Charleton Heston, especially on the gun issues. But yes, he does have a point.

I don't think there should be a blanket response to political or cultural awareness. I think we should decide on a case-by-case basis how we choose to respond, rather than saying, to ourselves or out loud, "I'm Conservative, so I'll have this response" or "I'm Liberal and a liberal would think this."

It takes courage, sometimes, to do what we feel in our heart is right, especially when it goes against the majority. Like you, I'm a little intimidated by the idea of protesting publicly. But I sure can on a personal level. After all, I have to live with my own thoughts and actions.

BTW ... I'm really curious about that "another post" you keep talking about...

DadGuy said...

Yeah, I probably should get around to that other post. Maybe I'll shoot for before the new year. ;)

Anonymous said...

That's a pretty interesting speech. I'm not a big Heston fan and I don't belong to NRA (mostly I support the 2nd amendment out of respect for the founding fathers' thinking), but I really respect that speech.

The part that surprises me is that he gave that speech *before* the anti-civil-liberties-conformism that ended up being fallout from the September 11th attacks.

I also agree with both Annie and Heston that the conventional wisdom on 'conservatism' and 'liberalism' is pretty silly. You have to take things on a case by case basis and discuss issues rationally and thoughtfully.

Thanks for sharing that.