Tuesday, December 20, 2005

The big day...

So tomorrow I get to present my team's last 9 months or so of work to the owner of the comapny and the tech support staff.

I expect the work itself to be ripped to shreds. That's okay, specs change, priorities change, and we sure don't know everything that neds to happen with this new system. The foundation is solid, I bet the user interface gets revamped a bit though.

I'm a bit more nervous about politics.

When we started this project it was supposed to take maybe 3 months. It had a lot of support and a certain coolness factor. I wasn't real pleased about it but I hadn't been excited about what I had been doing before and it seemed better at the time.

Well, as things do in software projects, we've lost 2 of the 4 people on the team (around august) and the whole thing is terribly more complex than it sounded. We, as a company, bit off more than we could chew.

And I'm afraid my reputation will suffer for the decision to continue and complete this project (not mine). See, this whole project is more of a "port" than a "new feature". There's a good part of a year invested in... not much real change to the end user at all. A little mind you, but not a ton.

A coworker of mine has said that people have quit the company over less nasty projects. Some days I feel like it, even though I have a great working environment. Today is borderline. Here's hoping for a better project in the future.

In other news...

Our girls are getting a wooden kitchen set. We got it second hand, but it's still in good condition. The only trouble is we are painting it. We'll have to paint at least 2 (probably 3) more coats of the base color plus at least 3 clear coats on it... by Christmas. lots of work, hope the kids appreciate it. =)

Do you have all of your Christmas shopping done yet?

No comments: