Wednesday, July 19, 2006

MAME preview

So my MAME post is taking forever. Part of it is that it's... well, some work to sit down and do. Part of it is time. part of it is pure laziness. But part of it is thee perfectionist coming out in me. I want it to be good. I want it to be something that means something. And as a bonus, I hope it's entertaining.

Now, all that said... I came across this link while doing some research on the MAME post. It's a pretty difinitive guide on what NOT to do as a MAME project. I wasn't going to include a section on how not to do a MAME machine, so it's probably fair game for it's own post. The guy gets a bit colorful, so 'ware the ears if they burn easily.

And assuming you are interested in building a MAME machine, check out this book that's got a lot of the initial learning covered.

I'll try to post something more interesting later. Maybe something about ninjas.

Yeah, ninjas are cool.

Until then.

8 comments:

Bob said...

"part of it is pure laziness. But part of it is thee perfectionist coming out in me."

I'm glad YOU said the part about laziness so I wouldn't have to (like I should talk!).

But I know what you mean about wanting it just right. I started writing an article for our ham radio newsletter over two years ago and never got it done. It's probably 90% done, it's that last 10%... Since mine involved lightning protection I'm really being over cautious in making sure I have things correct. I don't want someone to follow my advice and end up getting hurt due to some stupid mistake I made.

I'll check out those links later on the MAME stuff. I've ben debating whether an older LCD monitor would work well for MAME. I'm thinking that the limited viewing angle may be a major downside, but like the space saving aspect of the idea.

Sushiboy said...

Since starting WoW I hate ninjas! Dirty thieving punks!

Bob said...

Only tried the first link so far, it's funny! But it gave me an idea. I am so going to have a ball rest if I build a MAME cabinet. Maybe a chilled ball rest, might as well keep the boys cool.

DadGuy said...

Nobody -- Best of luck with that. let me know how it turns out. Oh, and don't hurt yourself during testing. I'd hate to hear of a horror story from your wife just because my blog gave you some ideas. :D

Sushiboy -- ninjas on fire are cool. (obscure Halo 2 reference for those no tin on the joke)

bon said...

DAGHK!

Crap it all Nobody!... now I'm trying to NOT VISUALIZE the logistics of building a whuddah ya callit... Cooling unit. Piffle.

Bob said...

Well allrighty then, I guess I won't post pictures.

Anonymous said...

and I was liking so much - and then you post about mame...thanks a lot buddy!

DadGuy said...

Uh, MAME? what? I'm not sure I know what you're talking about.